Thursday 2 January 2014

First cycle ride of the year - and home-made marshmallows

Day 2 of the new year and the first bike ride of 2014!  The heavy rain has moved on to other parts and the sun is shining so I got out for a quick run down through Trinity to the seafront.  I can do this off-road for the majority of the route as there are plenty of pathways which follow the lines of old suburban railway tracks.

When you reach the "end of the line" there is the old Trinity railway station which is now a house.



And here is the view across the Firth of Forth to Fife.  



Today I crossed over to the seawall and cycled a little further to the west along McKelvies Parade leading to Granton harbour.  There was a small sailboat just setting off for the open sea.


Now that the daylight has gone I have been baking biscuits and making some more home-made sweets.  I made some lavender shortbread to take round to a friend tonight who has invited us for supper.  This is simply a basic shortbread recipe (200g plain flour, 50g cornflour, 175g caster sugar and 175g butter) - but I use caster sugar which I have flavoured with food-grade lavender.


My earlier attempt at Turkish Delight was only a partial success but the home-made marshmallows today are lovely.  




Even though we have passed the winter solstice, the days still feel very short although the brighter skies today meant that it seemed like a longer day than it was yesterday.  More daylight always makes me feel much happier!

1 comment: